Mr Albert Katsande
Environment Africa is an African rooted organization with over 20 years of African experience in responding to the needs of African people and the African Environment. We believe that we have to focus on African solutions for the most pressing environmental and developmental challenges, working with conservation and communities in a collaborative, innovative and action orientated way that promotes a sustainable future for Africa.
Through our work, we know that sustainable development together with conservation and communities is key to addressing some of Africa’s challenges such as sustainable livelihoods, climate change, environmental governance and biodiversity which are Environment Africa’s priority areas for the period 2010 to 2014. We are committed to excellence, transparency and accountability in delivering our work, responding to the needs of the people and the environment, taking care of our staff and in working together with our partners, communities and all sectors of society for long term solutions – the thrust being moving from Aid to Trade.
2005 to 2009 was a period of increased partnerships hence our motto “Partnerships for Action” and some of the highlights for this period include:
- Renewable energy projects in Mudzi, Zimbabwe and in Chikwava and Insanje in Malawi
- Conservation agriculture activities in Hwange, Binga, Lupane, Zvimba, Mutare Urban, Harare Urban, Nyanga, Marange and Hwedza in Zimbabwe and Salima in Malawi
- Livestock promotion in Hwange, Lupane, Hwedza, Harare Urban and Mutare Urban
- Waste Management activities in most urban areas in Zimbabwe and in Lilongwe, Malawi
- Biodiversity activities in Victoria Falls, Vumba and Harare
- Environmental governance with a focus on by-laws in Guruve, Nyanyadzi and Mudzi and youth projects in Hwange and Victoria Falls
Social Responsibility and Corporate Partnerships
The five year period of the 2010 to 2014 strategic plan will look at building on the already well established projects and programmes implemented by Environment Africa and look to new innovative approaches as we move forward.
Some of the strategic areas of focus will include the following:
- Strengthen and develop new cost effective and innovative approaches to reduce poverty and improve the lives of the people without negatively impacting on our environment
- Carry out a needs assessment of our stakeholders and communities and identify the gaps for possible interventions with this question in mind: “How do e balance the needs of people with the needs of the planet that supports us?”
- Increase the visibility of Environment Africa and build the brand and communicate the work of the organization internationally utilizing new communication systems
- Increase the funding and support base for Environment Africa through innovative approaches such as the Africa Green Funds, endowment funds and international fundraising initiatives
- Establish and strengthen Environment Africa’s programmes in Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique and South Africa
- Our donors, our members, our supporters, our communities are all key to the success of Environment Africa and by working together we believe that so much can be achieved by an organization which is truly dedicated and passionate about the environment and the people of Africa.
We look forward to continued support and action for the environment.